Stanley Haas / Luke Hansen Student Award
Sponsored by GBG/TieCare International
In the spirit of Dr Stanley Haas, the late executive director of NESA, and of Luke Hansen, a remarkable student who died in an accident, this award - sponsored by GBG/TieCare International - recognizes middle school students (grades 6-8) at NESA member schools who model the character traits we value most in our students: consistency, persistence, a willingness to take risks, acceptance of other cultures/points of view and a genuine interest in and commitment to the welfare of others. The award is not meant to recognize academic, athletic or artistic talent or achievement, though nominees may well excel in one or more of these areas.
Three awards of $500 are made to three finalists; the first-place winner is invited to attend NESA's Spring Educators Conference, accompanied by an adult of his/her choice, with all expenses paid by NESA.
How to apply: click here to download the application (Middle School students at all NESA Member schools are eligible to apply)
Deadline: December 1 annually
Each school may submit only three applications. Vetting should be done by the school administration if more than three students want to apply.
Congratulations to the 2014-2015 winners of the Haas/Hansen Student Award!
- Abhi B. Sharma - American School, Doha
- Mariam Sabry - American International School, Kuwait
- Seo Young Park - American International School, Chennai
Abhi has been invited to attend the 2015 NESA Spring Educators Conference in Istanbul, Turkey (March 20-23, 2015) and give a brief talk to the group at the Gala. Click here to read Abhi's essay.
- Karen Grace Hassanieh, American International School of Riyadh (read and watch Karen's speech at the 2014 Spring Educators Conference in Bangkok)
- Hayden Leever, American School of Doha, Qatar
- Olivia Wright, American International School of Kuwait
Click here for a list of all winners since 1996.