Stanley Haas / Luke Hansen Student Award
Sponsored by GBG/TieCare International
In the spirit of Dr Stanley Haas, the late executive director of NESA, and of Luke Hansen, a remarkable student who died in an accident, this award - sponsored by GBG/TieCare International - recognizes middle school students (grades 6-8) at NESA member schools who model the character traits we value most in our students: consistency, persistence, a willingness to take risks, acceptance of other cultures/points of view and a genuine interest in and commitment to the welfare of others. The award is not meant to recognize academic, athletic or artistic talent or achievement, though nominees may well excel in one or more of these areas.
Three awards of $500 are made to three finalists; the first-place winner is invited to attend NESA's Spring Educators Conference, accompanied by an adult of his/her choice, with all expenses paid by NESA.
How to apply: click here to download the application (Middle School students at all NESA Member schools are eligible to apply)
Deadline: December 1 annually
Procedure change as of 2010: Each school may submit only three applications. Vetting should be done by the school administration if more than three students want to apply.
Congratulations to the 2013-2014 winners of the Haas/Hansen Student Award!
- Karen Grace Hassanieh, American International School of Riyadh
- Hayden Leever, American School of Doha, Qatar
- Olivia Wright, American International School of Kuwait
- Sahithi Vuppula, American International School-Kuwait (Read & watch Sahithi's speech at the 2013 Spring Educators Conference in Bangkok)
- Daniel Bacheschi, American International School-Chennai, India
- Mohammed Reshi, American School of Doha, Qatar
Click here for a list of all winners since 1996.