STRANDS: DEEP LEARNING • NEW PEDAGOGIES • WELLNESS / SEL
THURSDAY - SATURDAY | JANUARY 26-28, 2023
Positive Discipline Early Childhood Educator Certification Workshop
DESCRIPTION OF WORKSHOP
This three-day interactive workshop is designed for early childhood educators, teachers, and caregivers who work with children from birth to six years of age. (Parents will also find this workshop helpful; however, the focus is on early childhood education.)
Participants will learn to apply the principles and tools of Positive Discipline — an Adlerian research-based philosophy — to working with groups of young children. They will also gain a deeper understanding of how young children learn, the importance of belonging and social and emotional learning, and how to best teach those skills in a classroom or care setting.
CONNECT & ENGAGE / LEARN
This workshop emphasizes experiential activities that reach the heart to inspire deeper understanding and change.
Participants will gain a deeper understanding of how young children learn, the importance of belonging and social and emotional learning, and how best to teach those skills in a classroom, home, or care setting.
The focus is on teaching life skills instead of trying to control behavior in order to enjoy cooperative, resilient and happy children.
Reflect & Apply
Imagine a space filled with young people who are engaged in learning, contribute to problem-solving, and help build their own community.
During this workshop, we will focus on building classroom communities which model an inclusive culture and promote student and faculty and well-being.
We will examine behavior with a new lens in order to understand the root cause of behavior. Instead of controlling students from the outside, we will focus on empowering students to manage their emotions from within.
- Create a classroom or care setting where children can develop a sense of belonging and significance based on the importance of contribution and mutual respect.
- Understand how young children learn and how to adapt teaching to the needs of this age group.
- Foster essential social and emotional skills to support development and school readiness.
- Understand children’s behavior and how to guide it in groups of young children.
- Teach the essential skills for developmentally appropriate participation in class meetings.
- Learn Positive Discipline and Adlerian concepts for use in the classroom, preschool community, and with parents.
1: Developing Awareness
2: Deepening Understanding
3: Initiating Implementation
4: Extending Implementation
5: Refining Practice
Early childhood educators, teachers, and caregivers who work with children from birth to six years of age.
- Positive Discipline for Preschoolers, Revised 4th Edition
- Positive Discipline for Early Childhood Educators Manual
- Certification through the International Positive Discipline Association (PDA)
- One year membership to the PDA.