STRANDS: STANDARDS-BASED LEARNING • DEEP LEARNING • NEW PEDAGOGIES
FRIDAY & SATURDAY, JANUARY 27 & 28, 2023
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM / 8:30AM - 3:00PM
Putting the C3 Social Studies Framework into Action for Elementary Students: Facilitating Meaningful Learning Through an Inquiry Approach
This interactive two-day workshop will look at the C3 Framework and consider how we can use the disciplinary tools and concepts to create units of work that are conceptually focused and driven. We will examine the role of inquiry and how we can embed inquiry practices into our units of learning to ensure students are active participants, where they have choice and voice in their learning, developing depth of understanding and transfer and apply their learning in authentic ways.
Participants will be actively involved, have opportunities to collaborate with others and consider how this connects to their own context.
CONNECT & ENGAGE
We will examine why teaching conceptually is necessary to promote relevant and engaging learning for students. Explore what a concept is and consider "What's worth learning?” to reflect on units of learning.
You will be provided with examples and guided through a process of how to use the standards from the C3 Framework to develop conceptually driven units – the aim being to develop a conceptual unit that is relevant and engaging to students. Throughout the workshop you will use the unit you develop to build on through the ideas you are presented with.
Examine what ‘inquiry is’ and be introduced to an inquiry process where the concepts become the ‘language of the learning’. You will see practical examples of the different stages of the process. We will look at what authentic learning is and consider how to develop opportunities for students to transfer and apply their learning to an authentic situation.
We will focus on how to ensure students are at the center of the learning, how they are active participants in their learning and where to give them choice and decision making over their learning.
REFLECT & APPLY
As we examine each stage of the inquiry process with examples, we will consider how this transfers and applies to your unit that you have developed conceptually. Time will be given to plan at different stages of the workshop, allowing an opportunity to reflect, transfer and apply your understanding throughout the workshop.
At the conclusion of the workshop, participants will consider what their next steps are in connection to their new learning.
- Understand why focussing on concepts is important and what concepts are;
- Examine "What's worth learning?" in terms of what we need to consider when developing units of learning;
- Be guided through a process for how to develop units of learning that are conceptually focused so participants have a conceptual unit developed from standards outlined in the C3;
- Consider the role of transfer and application of learning and how we can promote this as a way for students to represent their learning and take action;
- Examine what inquiry is and be introduced to a conceptual inquiry process;
- Understand the role of the learner as an active participant in their learning;
- Understand how we can use an inquiry process to focus on concepts in our teaching and learning;
- Be given time to plan in connection to the unit they have developed as we unpack the inquiry process;
- Explore how we can give students choice and ownership of their learning within the context of a unit of learning;
- Be provided with examples of strategies that promote inquiry and conceptual learning;
- Reflect on how they will transfer and apply their learning.
1: Developing Awareness
2: Deepening Understanding
3: Initiating Implementation
4: Extending Implementation