Child Protection Update 2:
Child protection in the time of COVID response
In support of our schools, NESA is publishing the following update from the International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children, dated April 8, 2020. Go to Update #1, March 10
Dear regional and global partners,
You're all aware that this is a time of significantly escalated risk to children in the home and online. Some guidance being shared in person and in webinars might be uneven or not include globally accepted best practice for child protection.
Advice to share:
Schools should consider adding an addendum to current policies under COVID. See a sample policy here. Those without policies should put a basic one in place that covers communication and online code of conduct and acceptable use. Response to allegations and safety planning should be planned and in place. Support for this is available at COVID.ICMEC.org.
Please ensure your community knows there are ways to support vulnerable children whether previously or newly identified. Global guidance related to risk assessment and vulnerable student check-ins support and reporting is available on our COVID page. If you have regionally specific pages to share please let us know and we will include them. Local knowledge is important at this time.
Resources to Share:
- Farrer & Co on Quick Risk Assessment During Covid-19 Emergency
- CIS on prevention while Adapting to New Learning Environments
- Alliance and WHO infographics on Tips for Parents (in 49 languages)
- Guidance from the Alliance for CP in Humanitarian Action (in 11 languages) answering specific questions on institutional response to keep children safe while isolated at home in a video series. No video is longer than 5 minutes. Scroll to the bottom of the COVID.ICMEC.org page to access.
- Introduction to child protection during the pandemic
- Question 1 – What should we watch for?
- Question 2 – Who is vulnerable at this time?
- Question 3 – How can I support colleagues and parents?
- Question 4 – What reporting and response options are available?
- Question 5 – What resources are useful right now?
Share with Us
Finally, we are posting webinars related to child protection during the response. You will find them in multiple languages on our Regional Safeguarding Events page. If your organization is planning a webinar related to child protection with any expert, please let us know and we will publicize it. Again, please share your regional response page links.
Thank you for all you are doing so selflessly during this challenging time. Please know that the ICRT International Centre Response Team is functioning, and any case questions can be referred anonymously.
Many thanks in advance for your support and amplification of this message. We welcome your feedback and shared resources. If you have received this via forwarding and would like to be on the distribution for future CP updates, please send your request to EdPortal@ICMEC.org.
Global Educator Centre for Excellence
International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children
2318 Mill Road, Suite 1010 | Alexandria, VA 22314
+1 (571) 302-8912
Visit the Education Portal at EdPortal.ICMEC.org